Cell Phone: 713-582-5620
Doctor of Jurisprudence, South Texas College of Law, Magna Cum Laude, 1996
Phi Delta Phi Honor Fraternity
American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Research & Writing I American Jurisprudence Award, Property I
American Jurisprudence Award, Federal Income Taxation
B. B. A. Marketing, Texas Tech University, Summa Cum Laude
Highest Ranking Graduate, College of Business Administration
Bar Admissions And Affiliations
American Bar Association, State Bar of Texas, Houston Bar Association American Corporate Counsel, Energy Bar Association
OXY ENERGY SERVICES, L.L.C., (Subsidiary of Occidental Petroleum Corporation) Houston, TX
Attorney/Senior Counsel (2010 – 2015)
- Provided legal support to the company’s commodities trading floor and midstream assets with a specific focus on transactional requirements including contracts, commercial pipeline legal support, land agreements, and regulatory requirements. Drafted agreements, interpret laws and regulations, and advise clients. Managed outside firms on project work including budgets, billing rates, and approved timekeepers. Oversaw regulatory incident investigations and root cause analyses.
- Provided primary legal support for common carrier crude oil pipelines in excess of 2,700 miles located in Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma with more than 70 truck unloading facilities and 5.8 million barrels of storage capacity. Provided legal support for pipeline expansions including the 105 mile $100+ million Cline Oil Pipeline system.
- Prepared open season postings for pipeline expansion projects. Prepared Transportation Service Agreements. Prepared and filed federal and state pipeline tariffs. Drafted and negotiated purchase and sale of pipeline assets.
- Drafted and negotiated tank lease agreements, pipeline connection agreements, licenses, throughput and deficiency agreements, revenue deficiency agreements, and production dedication agreements. Negotiated Construction Agreements, Master Services Agreements, Purchase Orders, Service Orders, Professional Services Agreements and Staffing Services Agreements for multi-million dollar projects.
- Managed landowner issues and resolve disputes. Drafted and negotiated pipeline rights-of-way, easements, encroachment agreements, and surface use agreements. Successfully negotiated land related agreements. Drafted initial and final offer letters for landowners. Prepared board resolutions on public convenience and necessity to proceed with condemnation authority. Negotiated settlements of landowner disputes such as allegations of nuisance or trespass. Interpreted rights under vintage easement agreements and rights-of-way.
- Provided support for commodities trading floor. Reviewed NAESB’s. Drafted and negotiated confidentiality agreements and memorandums of understanding. Drafted and negotiated incoming and outgoing parent guarantees.
- Provided support for commercial commodities activities for crude oil pipeline and crude oil trucking including access agreements to OET truck stations for 3rd parties and to 3rd party truck stations for OET.
- Prepared responses to PHMSA and Texas Railroad Commission notices of probable violation. Prepared for PHMSA hearings on probable violations and post-hearing briefs.
- Collaborated on and reviewed PHMSA-compliant Drug & Alcohol Program, crude oil pipeline Emergency Response Plan, and firearm policy to reconcile inconsistencies in state laws with parent company policy. Responded to PHMSA integrated inspection of crude oil pipeline.
- Appointed by General Counsel as Segment Compliance Officer in October 2012. Conducted compliance training including separation of function training. Conducted due diligence on foreign counterparties in on-boarding process, provided guidance on Oxy policies, investigated allegations, and coordinated remedial measures. Prepared annual compliance report for Audit Committee.
- Member of Centurion Pipeline L.P. HES Board.
EL PASO CORPORATION, Houston, TX
Senior Counsel (2005 – 2009)
Prepared Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) tariff filings for interstate natural gas pipelines. Interpreted and opined on interstate natural gas pipeline tariffs. Advised commercial clients on business transactions. Negotiated and drafted natural gas pipeline settlements. Led and conferred on internal ethics investigations. Prepared and submitted Federal Trade Commission and State Attorneys General reports.
- Member of merger team involved in the successful $16 billion merger of El Paso Energy Corporation and the Coastal Corporation in March 2001 following over a year of negotiations with the Federal Trade Commission and the Attorneys General of New York and Texas.
Director/Vice President, Ethics & Compliance (2003 – 2005)
Oversaw Ethics & Compliance Office. Developed Code of Business Conduct and created internal policies and procedures. Managed Helpline activities. Conducted ethics and compliance investigations. Developed and delivered ethics and compliance training. Developed and distributed ethics and compliance communications. Provided status reports to Executive Committee and Board of Directors regarding the Company’s open investigations.
Senior Counsel (2002 – 2003)
Advised Ethics & Compliance Office. Reviewed and approved governmental affairs PAC and corporate contributions. Prepared and submitted Federal Trade Commission and State Attorneys General reports.
Director, Foundation & Corporate Giving (2001 – 2002)
Oversaw Company’s charitable foundation and corporate giving efforts.
Counsel/Senior Attorney/Attorney (1997 – 2001)
Interpreted, opined, and prepared FERC tariff filings for interstate natural gas pipelines. Advised clients. Negotiated and drafted natural gas pipeline settlements. Led ethics investigations. Responded to Federal Trade Commission and State Attorneys General “Second Requests” related to company mergers and acquisitions.